Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Episode 2 - Awakening

Pain.

It's all I remember from that moment until what seemed like forever. A searing, tearing pain that still tugs at my soul in my sleep. I had never before, and have never again, been in so much agony.

The only thing that penetrated the barrier of mind numbing pain were howls, distant at first, but as time went on they grew louder and louder, as if whatever was making them was getting closer. I now know that this was my transformation, my mutation into the beast I am.

I have no idea of what exactly happened over those 3 days, and Gragg refuses to specify. All I know is that after he bit me and the transformation begun, he took me to his hideout in the mountains, where it is quiet enough for a fledging werewolf to learn his skills. On the fourth day I awoke for the first time, bursting into the morning with a great howl escaping my lips. I was alone on the bare floor of what I still know to be Gragg's home. Humble and modest, his dwellings reminded me of those movies I've seen, the ones where people have weapons and such all over their walls. But Gragg had almost every inch of his house covered in amour, weapons and even plants, herbs and potions. I arose from my bed, or mattress really, and fell to one knee, weak with hunger and from the transformation. After catching my breath and gathering my strength I finally managed to stand up and walk to the window, leaning heavily on the sill. As I looked out, I saw Gragg there, a sword in his hand and a life-size dummy on the other side of the yard.

It was the sword which first drew my eyes, its blade shining a bright, shimmering blue in the morning sun, with a simple hilt and handle. This struck me as odd as if one were to go to all the effort to make such a beautiful blade, why ruin it by making an ugly hilt?? I didn't understand. I blinked, and in that moment, Gragg took off with such speed at the dummy that I didn't see him move or the cut. As I opened my eyes all I saw was Gragg standing looking at me with his sword sheathed and the dummy laying in no less than 5 pieces on the ground in front of him.

We stared at each other for some time before I lost my nerve and turned away. Suddenly he was next to me, grinning like an idiot who just found a snail.
"Gooooood morning, Squire," he said to me, the grin never leaving his face.
"What the hell happened to me?" I asked, rather politely I thought.
Suddenly his sword was at my neck as he whispered,"You shall find out soon enough, Squire."
The next ten minutes were the most unimaginable of my life, as I found out things I had only thought of in my wildest dreams. Things that were real. Things that were happening to me.

Gragg explained to me how the night I was bitten was his "Fun Night", meaning the one night a month he was allowed to go wild with his power. the night when the moon was the fullest. He had been chasing a pack of deer through the woods when he stumbled across me. He didn't even really notice me when he first did. But then I gave chase, and his instincts took control. He bit me, which almost immediately, began to turn me into a werewolf. This process was completed that morning, I was now one of them.

I turned to lean on the wall as Gragg Spoke, "You alright, Squire?"
"NO I'M NOT ALRIGHT!!!" I screamed as I lunged at him with all I had.
But he wasn't standing next to me anymore. He was over in the kitchen, making tea.

"You bastard!" I said.
".....Meh," replied Gragg, "I've done worse things. Tea, Squire??

I glared at him, too weak and tired to even form sentences anymore, I collapsed back onto the floor. The last thing I heard before I blacked out was, "So no tea then? Pity, it's quite good."

Bastard.


TO BE CONTINUED

No comments:

Post a Comment